Thursday, April 28, 2011

Riverfront

Because it was such a gross day, weather-wise, when we went out, I feel like I didn’t get to explore all the little nooks and crannies of the riverfront that I had hoped. Although, because of this rainy, windy, and disgusting day, a few of us hopped in my car and went over the river, to the other side finding some fantastic imagery (of which we may not have found if we were just walking). Starting out at Dunn Bros, I felt like everything, even old things, were still pretty much intact and had a significant purpose- either providing a sculpture or a friendly reminder of the past. There were a few places with wire coming out of the ground or cement pieces with rebar were making an appearance. 
  
There weren’t many dilapidated buildings, but rather new places, built up inside of older buildings such as condos and businesses. I really love the bridge across the river, it seems to almost float there, and I have road over it many times on my bicycle. 

  
It’s neat to situate yourself out in the middle, and take a look back at the city, reminiscing with the hand painted signs, seeing the crumbling walls of brick buildings, all juxtaposed with the new city in behind it all.
            Once we ventured over to the other side of the bridge, things were much different. There was a lot more worn out, grungy and somewhat creepy factory buildings. Many more buildings were just falling apart from old age but there were still tons of reminisce of the this time with hand painted signage on buildings. With the brick streets still somewhat intact, I felt the history coming through them as I drove my car. Much more “Is/Was” artist soup was over on this side. Katie and I were both excited to find this building, with two tunnels suspended in the air connecting them. It looked like whatever had been separating the two, had now been torn down, but made for an interesting image. 

  
This side of the river seemed to be unkempt compared to downtown side of things and allowed my mind to stir up what stories, activities, and jobs would be over here back in the day."
- S.Hummel

No comments:

Post a Comment