My experience as a designer and artist coming into this assignment shaped what I looked at and the ideas I explored. I am drawn to illustration, figures, advertising and interior design. While exploring the neighborhood I looked at how modern design was influenced by older aesthetics and the designed habitat.There were some challenges to this assignment, I hate drawing architecture. I thought of ways to get around that disability by thinking of other ways Riverfront area is 'old/new' so I thought of my interests in people, advertising and spaces. Also, it was cold, another challenge. So I went inside. Lucky for me, many of the cafes are in old buildings and the interior designers kept the antique feel.
These challenges allowed for new opportunities, how do I capture the essence of a neighborhood without drawing every building. Next best thing to describe and area other than architecture, is attractions and the people. I thought I would explore what the locals do in this modern old fashion area. So I went to Keegan's Irish Pub, a local favorite so I could try to blend in. What an old looking joint, its like going back to the motherland with oodles and oodles of memories and old photos tacked up on the wall. My favorite were the old Guiness Ads with illustrations of animals and big glasses of beer. The characters were bountiful.
I sat near the window next to a group of old ladies, to draw the street. But I was much more drawn to the decor and history on the wall, its basically a museum of Irish history. I got lost in the people on the walls and in the pub, what there stories could be and if they lived around here. I thought about the ladies I sat next to and who they could be and why they were there. They wore funny clothes.
As I was sketching elements of the bar and dining room, a song started to play. It was a song by The Guess Who, entitled Hand Me Down World. Ironic. I love old buildings. I love the effect they have on people, interior design, local culture and style. I love how people learn to take those old elements, even if they don't like them, and grow upon them to update. I thought of how me, in my twenties could enjoy an old pub like the ladies in their 60's. Generations recycle old styles and old art. I hope those silly Guinness ads come back in fashion.
Where I want to take this experience is to illustrate a visual guide to the neighborhoods to Minneapolis. I want to explore my experience and ideas by limiting that guide to not mentioning a single historic site or museum but by stylistically capture the local flare. To get around this I want to explore the bars, the people and the local community, their favorite things and fashions. This I feel will add a new layer of understanding, a new meaning of experience and reflect an area by it's distinct style and taste for design and modern take on its old architecture.
No comments:
Post a Comment