Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Minneapolis Riverfront

I am familiar with the features of the Minneapolis Riverfront from driving past throughout the years. As a resident of Minnesota and growing up only 30 miles outside of Minneapolis, I wonder though, why I don’t know the area better. Walking around and seeing things first hand was definitely a new experience to me. I find it interesting how something so new to me has been around for so long. The city of Minneapolis has actually been growing along side of me for the past 20 years and it’s gone unnoticed to me. Although, I am much younger than these buildings and landmarks they, like me, show a lot of change and growth.

I found that there were lots of old architecture around the area. The exteriors look aged and worn down. To counter it, there was a lot of newer, more modern architecture such as the Guthrie. I had never been to or even been inside the Guthrie before this trip. I honestly was awed by the place, probably because of my interest in newer and inventive architecture. I especially enjoyed elements that have never been seen before like their glass floors and odd shaped concave windows. Even the exterior of the building is different than anything I’ve seen before with its large portraits that look like projections.

It was really nice to get a day out of the classroom and be able to be outside. It ‘s too bad it was drizzling and gloomy the whole day but still nice to get fresh air. It was also very cold which made it hard to be outside for long periods of time. The weather itself gave the surrounding area and scene a whole different feel. I think because it was raining, the “old” of the city was really being accentuated. I’m guessing that if it had been a warm sunny day everything would look newer or maybe it would just be that the”old” would go unnoticed.

As much as I love the Guthrie and other “new” architecture of the city, I think what makes the Riverfront meaningful is what has always been there. The aging of the city is shown through its landmarks. That idea alone tells stories and holds memories. It’s like a pair of jeans that you’ve had forever. Every new stain holds a memory and creates this new feeling to the jeans. So, every year of wear and tear on the city, the newer it becomes in a sense. Because they now hold new memories and old.








No comments:

Post a Comment