Spring 2011
Illustrated Notebook
"My Keepers" Vol.I
- "Nuclear Curiosity"
I know things are kind of out of order, but bare with me. Through out this course I have been making new discoveries in my Notebook and have been doing some quite unexpected sketches and drawings. I am pushing myself, exploring, and most importantly becoming better.
I know things are kind of out of order, but bare with me. Through out this course I have been making new discoveries in my Notebook and have been doing some quite unexpected sketches and drawings. I am pushing myself, exploring, and most importantly becoming better.The reason why that this is keeper, is the fact that this drawing is related to a real world topic, I had interpreted it in a non serious way. Took my own spin on it and had fun creating this piece that shows how one is curious with nuclear power. I also never do fun characters like this except when I come up with robot characters. In this drawing, I made the guy have noodley arms, super tall and thin and stretched neck.
What I like about this drawing in my notebook, is the fact that I painted with Coka Cola. I first started out with a pencil sketch, then moved on with pen and ink, next I used orange ink, finally Coka Cola washes. I wanted the feel of aged, vintage, and worn. Everyone's tried coffee, but I am painting with soda's and dark beers. It works.

- "Mission Riot"
This one is definitely a keeper ! I really wanted to play more with pen and ink and brush pen. In the past when I do comic work and illustration work, I have never done black spotting and grey tonal shades. This piece was suppose to be made with cut paper and collage, but I didn't have the materials in class to full fill the goal, Soooo, I used collage in a slightly different way. I drew reference photos and drew them in a slight collage way, but in the end it still looks a pen and ink drawing. I didn't have too much experience with a brush pen, so this was first time just playing with the brush pen and seeing what else it could do to help my skills and techniques.
This one is definitely a keeper ! I really wanted to play more with pen and ink and brush pen. In the past when I do comic work and illustration work, I have never done black spotting and grey tonal shades. This piece was suppose to be made with cut paper and collage, but I didn't have the materials in class to full fill the goal, Soooo, I used collage in a slightly different way. I drew reference photos and drew them in a slight collage way, but in the end it still looks a pen and ink drawing. I didn't have too much experience with a brush pen, so this was first time just playing with the brush pen and seeing what else it could do to help my skills and techniques.- "Comics !"
This was a happy accident and experiment. The windows in the drawing were from, Comic Book College, which is located in Minneapolis, MN. I love comics and incorporated a few of my all time favorites, Alien, Predator, and Iron Man. I included actual receipts of things I did purchase and drew on them, next I drew Iron Man Gen.1 on Vellum which ended up to be on the top and final layer in my notebook. I would like to experiment more with overlapping drawn layers.
This was a happy accident and experiment. The windows in the drawing were from, Comic Book College, which is located in Minneapolis, MN. I love comics and incorporated a few of my all time favorites, Alien, Predator, and Iron Man. I included actual receipts of things I did purchase and drew on them, next I drew Iron Man Gen.1 on Vellum which ended up to be on the top and final layer in my notebook. I would like to experiment more with overlapping drawn layers.- "Venture Time in MN"
What I like about this drawing in my notebook, is the fact that I painted with Coka Cola. I first started out with a pencil sketch, then moved on with pen and ink, next I used orange ink, finally Coka Cola washes. I wanted the feel of aged, vintage, and worn. Everyone's tried coffee, but I am painting with soda's and dark beers. It works.This was one of my new discoveries while working in my notebook.
- "Re-Occurring Themes"

One of the pieces that really got me to where I am currently. If it wasn't for this piece, I wouldn't have successfully grown. After playing around with my brush pen I now have a better understanding of line weight and variation. This piece also pushed my mark making and details. This is one of those projects that really show that you've nailed it !
So far this is what I have and will be doing more very soon !
Vol.II and III are around the corner !
Thanks,
Alex
No comments:
Post a Comment